Friday, June 20, 2014

ladies, consider eco-friendly menstrual products (the diva cup blog)

I first heard about the Diva Cup from an advertisement in Missbehave Magazine (R.I.P.) circa 2008. It was my absolute favorite magazine because it sort of appealed to the non-pristine, off-the-cuff, quirky and stylish young lady. Therefore, after looking into Diva Cup a bit more, it seemed pretty noble.

That was six years ago, and I only just purchased my first Diva Cup this month from Whole Foods. It was $28.99 (on sale from $36.99) and comes in two sizes - 1 and 2. I purchased 1, which is for women under 30 and/or who have never given birth vaginally. Size 2 is for the rest of the women. I think now is a good time for this disclaimer: I am squeamish about period-related things, and I'm still not even 100% comfortable with tampon use. I definitely am not comfortable with Pap smears, either. That being said, the Diva Cup (despite its cute "Size 1" label) is pretty big. It is a thick yet flexible silicone cup with a rim. It hold up to 2 oz. of your menstrual business (which is ample, compared to the average daily amount), and should be emptied at least twice a day. You can rinse and reuse the cup, too (compared to other products I've seen which are single-use only).

There are two ways you can insert the Diva Cup, and they are demonstrated on the box (and in the included instructions). One involves folding the cup into a U-shape, while the other involves tucking part of the cup down into kind of a conch shell shape. I opted for the U—and I just couldn't do it. I chalked this up to being either nervous or tense, and tried again the next day. Honestly, it just didn't feel comfortable. It was like trying to insert a hard, wadded up piece of plastic trash. I'm simply too spoiled by thin, smooth, plastic tampon applicators. I can't even use the cardboard ones. Getting the Diva Cup in is kind of like inserting 2, 3, maybe even 4 tampons simultaneously. It's even, in my twisted mind, like trying to give yourself a Pap—foreign objects down there are just off-putting to me, and I am a bit mad I didn't acknowledge this self-truth before purchasing the Cup. I could have tried harder, but I gave in to my uncertainty about what I would do when it came time to take it out. I am not brave. For the remainder of my period, I stuck with my trusty tamps and winged pads.

However, I know that there are women who may read this, who are may be interested in trying this (or similar) products and are not as weak as I am. The Diva Cup seems to have the potential for great convenience, once you've gotten down the in-and-out process. It comes with a satchel to hold the cup in while it is not in use, and the brand also sells a Diva Cup wash to clean the product (otherwise, you can use unscented soap and warm water). Think about the money spent and trash created, just from you, every year due to pesky menstrual cycles. The average woman throws away almost 300 pounds of menstrual cycle related garbage in her lifetime. So, if you are up to the challenge of transitioning from plastic applicators to a silicone cup, I'd urge you to try. And if you're like me? What are other eco-friendly options that won't challenge your squeamishness?


Consider a reusable pad, such as Lunapad. This may be a bit more "gross," but if you are concerned about the environmental impact of menstrual product waste, this is a viable alternative. Lunapads come in cute designs but will run a little steep for a complete set (i.e. ~$80 for a pack of 7).

Opt for traditional pads and tampons made of organic cotton. The majority of products out now are a rayon-cotton blend, and harsh chemicals can be used in the production of rayon. Better for you, better for the environment.

It's a hard move, especially when young ladies are conditioned to live in a type of society that dotes on the "one time use" convenience factor (think: paper towels). But, if you can make the move (whether it's the big one or a smaller one), you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment